- A rabbi, especially a religious leader of the Hasidic sect.More example sentences
- He was also concerned about the concept of the rebbe (as the leader of each Hassidic sect was called) as it made each community extremely dependent on one person's interpretation of Judaism.
- Though aspiring to the position of the charismatic Hasidic rebbe, transformed, to be sure to the secular world, he was never suited for such a role: he was retiring even reclusive, though quietly ambitious and cunning.
- Instead of becoming angry at his assaulter, the Rebhe of Talno reached out and caught the stone, keeping it as a cherished reminder of the loving devotion of a hassid for his rebbe.
Yiddish, from Hebrew rabbī 'rabbi'.
More definitions of rebbeDefinition of rebbe in:
- The US English dictionary