Definition of recent in English:
1Having happened, begun, or been done not long ago; belonging to a past period comparatively close to the present: his recent visit to Britain a recent edition of the newspaper
More example sentences
- The real agony for home fans lies in the fact that they have seen it happen so often in the recent past.
- The reason for this mistaken notion can be traced to the events of our recent past.
- My research in recent years has begun to come up with some of the answers for this.
2 (Recent) Geology another term for Holocene.
- In general, species richness in the Miocene and Pliocene was high whereas Pleistocene and Recent diversity is very low.
- All four larger Recent families of Stromboidea are represented in Cenozoic strata from Chile.
- Diversity patterns in Recent and fossil tropical American mollusks have been the focus of considerable debate.
noun(the Recent) Geology Back to top
- Example sentences
- Among these contributors will be some of the movers and shakers of criminology in the coming years: and the sharpness and recency of their experience can be expected to resonate with those of the generation to come.
- We then computed a recency of use measure by subtracting the difference between the respondent's actual age and the age he or she last reported any use of a particular substance.
- Because of the relative recency of Internet forums for intellectual interchanges, a number of precedents may be set that will determine the future course of peer commentary.
- Example sentences
- The most recent version was published in 2002, but don't let that recentness fool you - a good few months ago, when I remembered having read a much older version, I decided to try and seek out a copy.
- First-years will identify with the recentness of the ordeal, and everyone else can simply be thankful that their orientation is far behind them, and now it is a new class's turn to suffer.
- It is a significant sign of the recentness of ‘Chinese nationalism’ that this curious situation bothered very few people until about 110 years ago.
Words that rhyme with recentdecent
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan