Definition of reclassify in English:
verb (reclassifies, reclassifying, reclassified)[with object]
1Assign to a different class or category: what was previously tax relief may be reclassified as government expenditure
More example sentences
- Ketamine is currently legal although the Home Office has plans to reclassify it as a class C drug by the end of this year.
- The book was reclassified Category 1 - Restricted.
- But in November 2000 the prison was reclassified as a Category C prison, which meant inmates could not work in the community.
1.1(In South Africa during the apartheid era) officially assign (someone) to a different legally defined ethnic group.
- The fine print is fascinating, explaining the criteria used by government panels to reclassify people from one racial group to another.
- She was never legally reclassified; her father fought tirelessly against it.
Definition of reclassify in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.