- A bond by which a person undertakes before a court or magistrate to observe some condition, especially to appear when summoned: the Lord Chancellor asked them to enter into recognizances to appear in court he was released on his own recognizance of £30,000More example sentences
- She failed to comply with the terms of her release by failing to comply with the conditions of her recognizance.
- It records that he has an extensive criminal record, including threats, numerous failures to comply with recognizances and probation orders and three failures to appear.
- He was arrested for violating the terms of his recognizance.
Middle English: from Old French reconnissance, from reconnaistre 'recognize'.
More definitions of recognizanceDefinition of recognizance in:
- The US English dictionary