Definition of red light in English:
1A red traffic light or similar signal that instructs moving vehicles to stop.
- They were approaching vehicles stopped in traffic, mostly at red lights, and offering to clean or cleaning the windshields with the hope or expectation of receiving money from the drivers.
- The vehicle stopped at a red light and Patroni knew the time had come.
- The silver vehicle stopped at a red light and Brian turned his piercing gaze toward me.
1.1A refusal or an order to stop an action: some subsidies would get a red light and be prohibited
More example sentences
- Once the Commission was informed of the precise nature of the alliance plans, it was likely to take three or four months to decide whether to give the green or red light, the source said.
- If the design exceeds the parameters set by the program it is given a red light.
Definition of red light in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan