Definition of red rose in English:
1The emblem of Lancashire or the Lancastrians.
- The red rose of Lancashire has faded to the white rose of Yorkshire on the sign on the southbound carriageway on the Cumbria Lancs border.
- After the Wars Of The Roses in 1455, Yorkshire changed its rose to white and stood it on its point therefore forming a ‘Y’ as opposed to the red rose of Lancashire.
- The troops named the baby Rose after the red rose of the Lancashire regiment.
2The symbol of the British Labour Party.
- Thus the adoption by the Labour Party of the red rose would not fall foul of this section.
- The handsome dust jacket depicts a red rose in full bloom, symbol of the British Labour Party, superimposed on the clock face of Big Ben.
- For the rest of the visit, the Duke unwittingly wore the Labour red rose!
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.