- Excessive bureaucracy or adherence to official rules and formalities: this law will just create more red tapeMore example sentences
- He says local government red tape is killing housing availability and affordability.
- The Scottish economy cannot afford the tourist industry to be hamstrung by red tape and bureaucracy any longer.
- You will encounter government regulations and red tape in your chosen country.
early 18th century: so named because of the red or pink tape used to bind official documents.
More definitions of red tapeDefinition of red tape in:
- The US English dictionary