- A method of proving the falsity of a premise by showing that its logical consequence is absurd or contradictory: the argument is a reductio ad absurdum of utilitarianismMore example sentences
- Opposition to stem-cell research is the reductio ad absurdum of the right-to-life argument.
- The argument that says no individual has power leads to a reductio ad absurdum.
- For some reason, this strikes me as the reductio ad absurdum of the whole project.
Latin, literally 'reduction to the absurd'.
More definitions of reductio ad absurdumDefinition of reductio ad absurdum in:
- The US English dictionary