Definition of refusenik in English:
1A Jew in the former Soviet Union who was refused permission to emigrate to Israel.
- In 1973, after being denied permission to emigrate to Israel, he became one of the leading Jewish refuseniks lobbying for greater human rights in Brezhnev's Soviet Union.
- The director of Aish HaTorah's Russian Program is Rabbi Eliyahu Essas, a former refusenik from the Soviet Union.
- The refuseniks have insisted on their loyalty to the state of Israel and commitment to Zionism.
2A person who refuses to follow orders or obey the law, especially as a protest.
- He is, of course, one of the great media survivors, or counterpunchers, or refuseniks, of our political age.
- In one sense, Schaller correctly assesses the New Paradigm refuseniks as mourners for the lost order.
- People might be interested in this site set up by Israeli refuseniks, that is reservists in the Israeli Army who have refused to fight in the occupied territories. 21 conscientious objectors are in jail so far for refusing to serve.
Definition of refusenik in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan