- A year reckoned from the date or anniversary of a sovereign’s accession: a commemorative 25 dinar piece was issued to mark the King’s 25th regnal yearMore example sentences
- During Roman times dates were determined either as years after the foundation of Rome, or as regnal years based on the anniversary of the Emperor's accession.
- It is uncertain why the author decides to provide birth and death years for kings, instead of the commonly-used regnal years.
- One of the most common is with reference to the reign of a king, queen, or other official so that dates are given as the regnal year of that person.
More definitions of regnal yearDefinition of regnal year in:
- The US English dictionary