Definition of remanent in English:
(Of magnetism) remaining after the magnetizing field has been removed.
- Given the lag time between aeolianite deposition and the acquisition of chemical remanent magnetism, the East Naracoorte Range, which is reversely magnetized could actually have a minimum age exceeding 810 ka.
- While the basalt pile is largely characterized by reversely polarized remanent magnetism, measurements on the Faeroe Islands demonstrate the presence of two significant intervals with normally polarized remanent magnetism.
- There are, however, local weak remanent magnetic fields associated with some of the Moon's major impact basins that suggest that part of the core may still have been liquid and generating a global field when these formed 3.6 Ga ago.
late Middle English: from Latin remanent- 'remaining', from the verb remanere.
- Example sentences
- The fraction of the saturation magnetization which is retained when the driving field is removed is called the remanence of the material, and is the basis of data storage on audio and video tapes and computer hard drives.
- We introduce the additional constraints of crustal isostasy to gravity models and the observations of the polarity of magnetic remanence within the lava pile to magnetic models.
- Coercivity of remanence, the back-field required to reduce a saturation remanence to zero, cannot readily be determined from hysteresis loop measurements and requires separate back-field measurements.
Definition of remanent in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan