Definition of renationalize in English:
Transfer (a privatized industry) back into state ownership or control.
- New Labour has gone through one excuse after another over the last four years to avoid renationalising the rail industry.
- The marchers rallied at key industrial sites, demanding that former state-owned industries be renationalized and reopened.
- Plant management and regional industrialists are demanding that the strike be made illegal, while union officials want the government to renationalize the plant, which was privatized in 1996.
- Example sentences
- Some will put taxes up a bit, others promise to bring them down a bit, but no one proposes to change the way the economy is run, through extensive privatisation, renationalisation or whatever.
- He added that using administration as part of an effective renationalisation of Railtrack would require time-consuming primary legislation, and should therefore not be considered.
- We oppose privatisation, and campaign for the renationalisation of the railways and other public services.
Definition of renationalize in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan