Definition of reprove in English:
Reprimand (someone): he was reproved for obscenity [with direct speech]: ‘Don’t be childish, Hilary,’ he reproved mildly (as adjective reproving) a reproving glance
More example sentences
- He fixed her with a mildly reproving glance which diluted quickly into a fond grin.
- Growing up bilingual in English and German, Hobsbawm picked up three or four other languages along the way (he reproves monoglot historians for their provincialism).
- He is ‘always joking with her,’ never reproves her, even ‘babies her’ much of the time.
reprimand, rebuke, reproach, scold, admonish, remonstrate with, chastise, chide, upbraid, berate, take to task, pull up, castigate, lambaste, read someone the Riot Act, give someone a piece of one's mind, haul over the coals, criticize, censure
informal tell off, give someone a talking-to, give someone a telling-off, dress down, give someone a dressing-down, give someone an earful, give someone a roasting, give someone a rocket, give someone a rollicking, rap, rap over the knuckles, slap someone's wrist, let someone have it, send someone away with a flea in their ear, bawl out, give someone hell, come down on, pitch into, lay into, lace into, give someone a caning, put on the mat, slap down, blast, rag, keelhaul
British informal tick off, have a go at, carpet, give someone a mouthful, tear someone off a strip, give someone what for, give someone some stick, wig, give someone a wigging, give someone a row, row
- 2reprover noun
- Example sentences
- And I will make thy tongue cleave to the roof of thy mouth, that thou shalt be dumb, and shalt not be to them a reprover: for they are a rebellious house.
- Example sentences
- One reader she noted, had written to her reprovingly, but added: ‘You may have lost your marbles, but you have kept your manners.’
- I have actually started to avoid the computer which seems to look at me reprovingly every time I pass by.
- ‘Oh don't laugh,’ the girl said reprovingly to Sam.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.