Definition of resolute in English:
Admirably purposeful, determined, and unwavering: he was resolute in his fight to uphold liberal values
More example sentences
- Throughout she remained resolute in her determination to find the information she sought.
- I was just as resolute in my determination to spend Christmas with my fiancée.
- It is important to be firm, resolute and committed to get through the first stage.
determined, purposeful, purposive, resolved, decided, adamant, single-minded, firm, unswerving, unwavering, undaunted, fixed, set, intent, insistent;
steadfast, staunch, stalwart, earnest, manful, deliberate, unfaltering, unhesitating, unflinching, persevering, persistent, pertinacious, indefatigable, tenacious, bulldog, strong-minded, strong-willed, unshakeable, unshaken, steely, four-square, dedicated, committed, constant;
stubborn, dogged, obstinate, obdurate, inflexible, relentless, intransigent, implacable, unyielding, unbending, immovable, unrelenting;
spirited, brave, bold, courageous, plucky, stout, stout-hearted, mettlesome, indomitable, strenuous, vigorous, gritty, stiff;
North American rock-ribbed
informal gutsy, spunky
rare perseverant, indurate
- Example sentences
- He stomped his feet, still heading resolutely in the direction he had picked previously.
- The plot is more complex, the characters a little darker and their motivations resolutely self-seeking.
- But, however one teases out the strands, the rug remains resolutely tangled.
Words that rhyme with resoluteirresolute
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.