Definition of resorption in English:
1The process or action by which something is reabsorbed: the resorption of water
More example sentences
- He draws two conclusions, namely that the small mass of water can easily be absorbed, making the process of resorption an important one, and that there is little change in glass viscosity due to the very small amounts of water involved.
- Even so the process of gas resorption and the existence of a gas retention regime will still be important.
- They propose that in the gas retention regime, resorption of water greatly speeds up welding by reducing the viscosity of the glass.
1.1 Physiology The absorption into the circulation of cells or tissue: bone resorption
More example sentences
- It is well established that osteoclasts, specialized multinucleated giant cells responsible for bone resorption, i.e. osteoclasts, were derived from activated macrophages and play a role in the direct lysis of bone.
- Increased bone resorption, increased gastrointestinal absorption of calcium, and decreased renal excretion of calcium cause hypercalcemia.
- Several drugs are now available which have powerful actions on bone metabolism: examples are the bisphosphonates and the calcitonins, both of which inhibit bone resorption and can be used in the treatment of osteoporosis.
Early 19th century: from resorb, on the pattern of the pair absorb, absorption.
- Example sentences
- In HPTH, bone formation rate is markedly elevated and increases in formative and resorptive markers seem to be of equivalent size.
- In this setting, whenever hydrostatic and/or oncotic forces produce fluid at the pleural surface beyond the resorptive ability of the pleural lymphatics, a localized pleural effusion that is recognized as a vanishing tumor may result.
- This influence, along with the specialized receptors along the tubule, allows each tubular section a selective resorptive and secretory function.
Pronunciation: /rɪˈzɔːptɪv/ /rɪˈsɔːptɪv/adjective
Definition of resorption in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan