verb (past and past participle respelled or chiefly British respelt)[with object]
- Spell (a word) again or differently, especially phonetically in order to indicate its pronunciation: you are welcome to respell Pittsburgh as ‘Pittsberg’ if you can’t cope with correct pronunciationMore example sentences
- Previous spelling reform proposals for English have had a disastrously unsuccessful history, but I only want to respell one word, and only by a capitalization.
- Such marks may be used in conjunction with standard spelling, in respelling systems, and with IPA symbols.
- Nineteenth century Nathaniel Hawthorne respelled his family name to preserve its ancient pronunciation; Hathorne became Hawthorne.
More definitions of respellDefinition of respell in:
- The US English dictionary