- A substance (such as haemoglobin or haemocyanin) with a molecule consisting of protein with a pigmented prosthetic group, involved in the physiological transport of oxygen or electrons.More example sentences
- Whereas Adrianov and Malakhov suspect the electron-dense material in the body cavity to represent respiratory pigments, Neuhaus assumes such pigments in the osmiophilic vesicles of the amoebocytes.
- Massed red blood corpuscles are red in color owing to the presence of the respiratory pigment hemoglobin.
- Thus, contrary to the insects, the evolution of a tracheal system in the Myriapoda was not accompanied by the loss of respiratory pigments in the hemolymph.
More definitions of respiratory pigmentDefinition of respiratory pigment in:
- The US English dictionary