Expressing, indicating, or relating to the outcome of an action.
- This crosslinguistic asymmetry has not received an entirely satisfactory explanation, despite the fact that resultative predication has been widely discussed from a variety of perspectives.
- Applying this agenda to the resultative construction, one might search for semantic or other constraints on the construction's acceptability.
- The analysis will then be extended to resultative and depictive secondary predicates in sections 4 and 5, and will be compared to some of the syntactically based alternatives that have been proposed in the literature.
A resultative verb, conjunction, or clause.
- The question raised from this semantics is, where does the causative interpretation of resultatives come from?
- We have argued that all of resultatives, depictives, and quasi-serials in languages like English, and serial verbs under their various interpretations, have essentially the same structure.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: re¦sulta|tive
Definition of resultative in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.