- Any of a group of RNA viruses which insert a DNA copy of their genome into the host cell in order to replicate, e.g. HIV.More example sentences
- As a vehicle for gene therapy, the retrovirus is modified so that it cannot produce infectious virus after entering the cell.
- Thus far, adenoviruses and retroviruses are the two families of viruses that have been used in the majority of clinical trials.
- All retroviruses are similar, and our genome is full of dormant retroviruses - over 2 percent of the genome is retroviral.
- More example sentences
- Health care workers exposed to HIV-positive patients should be given retroviral medications and monitored for specific side effects associated with the medications.
- The majority of chemotherapeutic strategies have, therefore, focused on the development of retroviral enzyme inhibitors.
- Hypericin may give promise to patients with AIDS because it has inhibited retroviral infections in animal and laboratory tests.
1970s: modern Latin, from the initial letters of reverse transcriptase + virus.
More definitions of retrovirusDefinition of retrovirus in:
- The US English dictionary