Definition of retrovirus in English:
Any of a group of RNA viruses which insert a DNA copy of their genome into the host cell in order to replicate, e.g. HIV.
- As a vehicle for gene therapy, the retrovirus is modified so that it cannot produce infectious virus after entering the cell.
- Thus far, adenoviruses and retroviruses are the two families of viruses that have been used in the majority of clinical trials.
- All retroviruses are similar, and our genome is full of dormant retroviruses - over 2 percent of the genome is retroviral.
- Example sentences
- Health care workers exposed to HIV-positive patients should be given retroviral medications and monitored for specific side effects associated with the medications.
- The majority of chemotherapeutic strategies have, therefore, focused on the development of retroviral enzyme inhibitors.
- Hypericin may give promise to patients with AIDS because it has inhibited retroviral infections in animal and laboratory tests.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan