Definition of revanchism in English:
A policy of seeking to retaliate, especially to recover lost territory: a recipe for deep future resentment, revanchism and renewed conflict
More example sentences
- Given the climate of hatred, violence, and revanchism ubiquitous in the refugee camps, the likelihood of meeting this requirement is nil.
- During the Cold War, the Soviet Union constantly reminded Poland, which had absorbed much of Germany's former eastern regions, that it was the Poles' sole protection against German revanchism.
- ‘For me personally, the political revanchism going on in Latvia is very painful,’ she said.
revanchist adjective& noun
- Example sentences
- Knock back your entire shot in one gulp, immediately inverting your glass over the table to allow the microscopic last drop to fall out, proving you're not a wuss or a reactionary revanchist Trotskyite provocateur.
- In doing so they unwittingly created a powerful tradition of revanchist paramilitarism that was to explode in their faces in 1971.
- France might, for example, have continued with the revanchist attitude to Germany which blighted the continent in the inter-war period.
Definition of revanchism in:
- US English dictionary