Definition of revolutionary in English:
1Involving or causing a complete or dramatic change: a revolutionary new drug
More example sentences
- Later, after the move to London, the revolutionary changes in publishing technology, there was no longer any such cause.
- I'd heard that it was a science fiction classic, with revolutionary ideas about free love and community.
- In fact, he thought, their hostility was often proof of the revolutionary nature of his ideas.
thoroughgoing, thorough, complete, total, entire, absolute, utter, comprehensive, exhaustive, sweeping, far-reaching, wide-ranging, extensive, profound;
drastic, severe, serious, major, desperate, stringent, violent, forceful, rigorous, draconian
new, novel, original, unusual, unfamiliar, unconventional, unorthodox, off-centre, different, fresh, imaginative, creative, innovative, innovatory, innovational, inventive, ingenious, modern, ultra-modern, state-of-the-art, advanced, avant-garde, futuristic, pioneering, groundbreaking, trailblazing, disruptive;
rare, unique, singular, unprecedented, uncommon;
experimental, untested, untried, unknown, surprising, strange, exotic, out of the ordinary, newfangled;
North American left-field
2Engaged in or promoting political revolution: the revolutionary army
More example sentences
- Both forces styled themselves as revolutionary armies on the Soviet model.
- From the beginning of the wars he had been puzzling over the performance of the French revolutionary armies.
- Within the class, only the ‘alienated’ worker is truly revolutionary.
2.1 (Revolutionary) Relating to a particular revolution, especially the War of American Independence.
- George Washington, Benjamin Franklin, John Hancock, and Paul Revere were among the prominent American Masons of the Revolutionary Era.
- The Creeks supported the British in the American Revolutionary War.
- The Dutch United Provinces supported the Americans in the Revolutionary War.
noun (plural revolutionaries)Back to top
A person who advocates or engages in political revolution.
- They would act like any revolutionary vanguard, as Lenin or indeed the French revolutionaries had imagined.
- He was a revolutionary and like all successful revolutionaries he worked from within.
- The revolutionaries are the prophets and martyrs of social and political change.
Words that rhyme with revolutionaryablutionary, counter-revolutionary, devolutionary, elocutionary, evolutionary, substitutionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.