Definition of revolutionary in English:
1Involving or causing a complete or dramatic change: a revolutionary new drug
More example sentences
- Later, after the move to London, the revolutionary changes in publishing technology, there was no longer any such cause.
- I'd heard that it was a science fiction classic, with revolutionary ideas about free love and community.
- In fact, he thought, their hostility was often proof of the revolutionary nature of his ideas.
thoroughgoing, thorough, complete, total, entire, absolute, utter, comprehensive, exhaustive, sweeping, far-reaching, wide-ranging, extensive, profound;
drastic, severe, serious, major, desperate, stringent, violent, forceful, rigorous, draconian
new, novel, original, unusual, unfamiliar, unconventional, unorthodox, off-centre, different, fresh, imaginative, creative, innovative, innovatory, innovational, inventive, ingenious, modern, ultra-modern, state-of-the-art, advanced, avant-garde, futuristic, pioneering, groundbreaking, trailblazing, disruptive;
rare, unique, singular, unprecedented, uncommon;
experimental, untested, untried, unknown, surprising, strange, exotic, out of the ordinary, newfangled;
North American left-field
2Engaged in or promoting political revolution: the revolutionary army
More example sentences
- Both forces styled themselves as revolutionary armies on the Soviet model.
- From the beginning of the wars he had been puzzling over the performance of the French revolutionary armies.
- Within the class, only the ‘alienated’ worker is truly revolutionary.
2.1 (Revolutionary) Relating to a particular revolution, especially the War of American Independence.
- George Washington, Benjamin Franklin, John Hancock, and Paul Revere were among the prominent American Masons of the Revolutionary Era.
- The Creeks supported the British in the American Revolutionary War.
- The Dutch United Provinces supported the Americans in the Revolutionary War.
noun (plural revolutionaries)Back to top
A person who advocates or engages in political revolution.
- They would act like any revolutionary vanguard, as Lenin or indeed the French revolutionaries had imagined.
- He was a revolutionary and like all successful revolutionaries he worked from within.
- The revolutionaries are the prophets and martyrs of social and political change.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia