- Any disease marked by inflammation and pain in the joints, muscles, or fibrous tissue, especially rheumatoid arthritis.More example sentences
- Previously, the condition was known by other names such as fibrositis, chronic muscle pain syndrome, psychogenic rheumatism and tension myalgias.
- Whether it is rejuvenation, stress relief or treatment of any ailment like arthritis, rheumatism, frozen shoulders, back pain or skin disease, Ayurveda is claimed to be most effective.
- The herb's anti-inflammatory aspirin-like chemicals mean it can also reduce fever and relieve the pain of rheumatism in muscles and joints.
late 17th century: from French rhumatisme, or via Latin from Greek rheumatismos, from rheumatizein 'to snuffle', from rheuma 'stream': the disease was originally supposed to be caused by the internal flow of ‘watery’ humours.
More definitions of rheumatismDefinition of rheumatism in:
- The US English dictionary