Definition of rho in English:
noun (plural rhos)
1The seventeenth letter of the Greek alphabet (Ρ, ρ), transliterated as ‘r’ or (when written with a rough breathing) ‘rh’.
- He had a dream in which he saw the chi and the rho, the first two Greek letters of Jesus' name, saying ‘In this sign, conquer’, and so he had that emblazoned on a banner he went out the next day under the name of the crucified.
- Alpha, rho, tau, sigma, omega: Ash went over the letters he saw in his mind while Lari just stared, apparently in her own little world.
- You're never going to do the conversion right if you think r is equal to phi sine theta, because it isn't; r equals rho sine theta.
1.1 (Rho) [followed by Latin genitive] Astronomy The seventeenth star in a constellation: Rho Cassiopeiae
More example sentences
- The final list at the close of the book includes 47 Ursae Majoris, Rho Cancri A, Tau Boötis A, and Upsilon Andromedae.
- For nearly a decade, astronomers have patiently watched Rho Cassiopeiae, a bloated, relatively cool star 500,000 times brighter than the sun.
- Only a dozen such hypergiants are known, and scientists suspect that Rho Cassiopeiae will soon destroy itself in a supernova explosion.
symbolBack to top
1 (ρ) Density.
1.1 (ρ) Spearman’s correlation coefficient.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan