Definition of rhomboid in English:
Having or resembling the shape of a rhombus: a rhomboid prism
More example sentences
- Another hypothesis was that wind forces at ‘hot spots,’ which resulted from the rhomboid shape of the tower, caused overstressing of the glass.
- The rhomboid shape of the crystals was confirmed in thick sections and by electron microscopy.
- Convex, flat and concave rhomboid units clad the building's distinctive dia-grid structure to produce remarkable visual effects.
nounBack to top
1A parallelogram in which adjacent sides are unequal.
- Its arrangement of forms - a bulky, white rhomboid with curved sides that is balanced unsteadily on a dark rectangle - at first floats freely as a pure, nonrepresentational abstraction a la Ellsworth Kelly.
- Between the two sat a white, benchlike rhomboid that mimicked the shape of the chamber, creating the effect of one surreally distorted ‘white cube’ within another.
- Another visually interesting dessert is the kalamay na ure, which looks like a glowing purple rhomboid, a sweet pasty thing made with purple rice.
2 (also rhomboid muscle) another term for rhomboideus.
- Close-grip work also helps improve posture and body carriage by strengthening the mid-back muscles, rhomboids and erector spinae.
- When I pull the bar into my upper abdomen, just below my sternum, applying continuous tension without peak contractions, I can feel every muscle in my upper lats, rear deltoids, rhomboids and traps flexing individually.
- The rhomboids, deep muscles that run horizontally between your shoulder blades, help stabilize them by keeping them down and together.
- Example sentences
- This is wrapped in a rhomboidal grid, like a giant fishing net, infilled with a mixture of flat, concave and convex panels of glass.
- The supraoccipital is a weakly rhomboidal element, which meets the parietal in its deep posterior embayment as described above.
- Most sporangiospores were angulated to rhomboidal; a few were oval.
Definition of rhomboid in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan