noun[mass noun] Medicine
A reddish-brown antibiotic used chiefly to treat tuberculosis and leprosy.
- The antibiotic is obtained from the bacterium Nocardia mediterranei
More example sentences
- For the more commonly encountered methicillin-resistant coagulase-negative staphylococci, a combination of vancomycin, rifampin and gentamicin is indicated.
- The sift did not reveal any deletions that make cells susceptible to amoxicillin, penicillin, rifampin or vancomycin, which are used to treat bacterial infections of the airways, stomach and skin.
- The organisms are treatable with tetracycline, erythromycin, rifampin, and by the sulfonamides.
1960s: from rifamycin (an antibiotic first isolated from the bacterium Streptomyces mediterranei) + the insertion of pi- from piperazine.
Definition of rifampicin in:
- The US English dictionary