- 1A shot fired from a rifle: a cracking sound like a rifle shotMore example sentences
- Gardai believe that any one of five people could have died after a rifle shot was fired into a house in Stephen McDonagh Place at the weekend.
- The sound of the rifle shot echoes through the canyons, alerting Cody that something is amiss, which is confirmed when Dobie's horse gallops through the canyon, dragging Dobie's corpse along the ground, his foot twisted in the stirrups.
- It was thoughts of this nature that filled Will's mind as he walked, when, up ahead, there was the sound of a rifle shot.
- 1.1 [mass noun] The range of a rifle: the schooner had escaped out of rifle shotMore example sentences
- It seemed only moments before the natives withdrew to just outside rifle shot range.
- This sight gave everyone the greatest pleasure, and our leading troop trotted and cantered forward to a small grove of trees which stood within rifle shot of the conical hill.
- I try to see my biases for what they are and keep them in check, but nonetheless I confess that I have reservations about being within rifle shot of at least some of the people who might be walking about with six-shooters under their ponchos.