noun[mass noun] chiefly British
- A person’s right to take up residence or remain resident in a country.More example sentences
- All that is needed to apply for a residence permit or right of abode is an identity card or passport and proof of being one of the persons covered by the Directive.
- The Immigration Act 1971 introduced the two concepts of the right of abode and patriality.
- In January 1999 the Court of Final Appeal awarded right of abode to illegitimate children of Hong Kong residents and children born before one of their parents became a permanent resident of Hong Kong.
More definitions of right of abodeDefinition of right of abode in:
- The US English dictionary