Definition of rock garden in English:
1A mound or bank built of earth and stones, and planted with rock plants; a rockery.
- The tiny, tuft-forming Alpine poppy with flowers of white, yellow and zingy orange looks delightful in amongst the mat and cushion-forming plants of a rock garden.
- A few strategically placed stones and it would have made an excellent rock garden.
- Also known as meadow saffron, they look good naturalised in turf, in the rock garden, at the front of a border or under an apple tree.
1.1A garden in which rockeries are the chief feature.
- The park's gardens include a sunken garden, a rock garden, stream gardens and an Arboretum, containing many trees from the southern hemisphere.
- The remaining 12 acres provides enough room for a landscaped rock garden rediscovered during renovations and a broadleaf forest of beech, ash and oak.
- The 20 acres of grounds include a sun terrace, fruit garden and sunken rock garden, as well as a lakeside summer house and marina.
Definition of rock garden in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia