Definition of role playing in English:
1The acting out of the part of a particular person or character, for example as a technique in training or psychotherapy: specific guidelines need to followed for role playing to be effective [as modifier]: role-playing exercises
More example sentences
- Marks mentioned a tactic in this regard of role playing — she sometimes 'becomes the student' and asks the students to teach her.
- Mock telephone calls and mock reservations were made possible via role playing and a code for a test hotel, respectively.
- It focuses on moving away from lecture-style teaching and into more western methods such as role playing and problem solving.
1.1 Psychology The unconscious acting out of a particular role in accordance with the perceived expectations of society.
- While such role playing may indicate a hidden identification with the role, I do not mean to read the artist psychoanalytically, but rather to explore the effect of her works.
- Both films are based on the juxtaposition of farce and melodrama and the comedy that arises from role-playing and role-switching.
- The performance is about role-playing in everyday life.
2Participation in a role-playing game.
- The director is apparently a long time role-playing fan.
- I've played fantasy role-playing games at home with old friends and online with new ones, and it's perhaps my favorite genre for games.
- The kids in this, who take their RPG into real life, are not geeks, but intelligent kids who enjoy role-playing.
Definition of role playing in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.