noun (plural Roma /ˈrɒmə/)
1A Gypsy, especially a man or boy.
- The young married person becomes a Rom (male adult Roma) or a Romni (female adult Roma).
- The position in the Czech Republic is such that it will in our view be impossible for a Rom or anyone who has suffered as a result of discrimination against Roma to establish a well-founded fear of persecution.
2 (as plural noun Roma) Gypsy people collectively.
- Whilst interviewing a news reporter and producer about their experiences, I was surprised to hear the extent of the devastation of the Roma populations in northern Kosovo and especially around Mitrovicia.
- Accordingly, if there is a visitor of Roma or non-Roma ethnic origin, the immigration officer will have to decide whether or not the eligibility criteria are met.
- By the 1930s the Rom group of Gypsy Americans virtually controlled the business of fortune-telling.
mid 19th century: Romany, 'man, husband'.
Definition of Rom in:
- US English dictionary