- A baleen whale of streamlined appearance with pleated skin on the underside.
More example sentences
- Family Balaenopteridae: two genera and six species, including the common rorqual (or fin whale)
- Like rorquals, gray whales are migratory species.
- Fairly secretive visitors among the larger rorquals are the fin whale and its slightly smaller cousin, the sei whale.
- The research shows that rorquals, commonly referred to as Bryde's whales, actually represent three distinct species.
early 19th century: via French from Norwegian røyrkval, from Old Norse reythr, the specific name, + hvalr 'whale'.
More definitions of rorqualDefinition of rorqual in:
- The US English dictionary