- 1Rose-coloured: the early, roseate lightMore example sentences
- A choicely clad company has assembled under a colonnade, their glossy-faced children as if chipped from roseate pearl, their spaniel dogs straight out of a scene painted by Metsu or Terborch.
- Naturally she has paid close attention to her immensely panniered sea-green dress and the long stomacher of roseate buckles which clasps the narrow span of her waist.
- Manet was starkly linear, and sober in his coloration, whilst Renoir preferred loose curves and a roseate blur.
- 1.1Used in names of birds with partly pink plumage, e.g. roseate tern.More example sentences
- Ram Island had been cleared of competing gulls some years ago to open up beach nesting habitat for the endangered roseate tern (Sterna dougallii dougallii), which then flocked to nest there.
- Warner's Island historically provided habitat for the endangered roseate tern, which prefers nesting on small islands under or adjacent to objects that provide cover.
- Some islands provide nesting habitat that is critical to the survival of the endangered roseate tern.
late Middle English: from Latin roseus 'rosy' (from rosa 'rose') + -ate2.
More definitions of roseateDefinition of roseate in:
- The US English dictionary