Definition of rosewood in English:
1 [mass noun] Close-grained tropical timber with a distinctive fragrance, used particularly for making furniture and musical instruments.
- There are 34 full-color photographs of beautiful gages made of ebony, rosewood, boxwood, mahogany, cherry, applewood, whalebone, ivory etc.
- For one, consumers have been told for years that the best instruments are made from precious tropical woods like mahogany, ebony and rosewood - the very species most in danger.
- It is a superb piece, made of mahogany and rosewood and inlaid with ebony spikes to the corners, raised on three lyre supports, each with splayed legs and brass lion-paw feet.
2The tree which produces rosewood.
- Genus Dalbergia, family Leguminosae: several species, in particular D. nigra of Brazil
- Along one side of the pool, fast-growing Indian rosewood trees screen the garage.
- In addition to seafood, the Atlantic coast is rich in other resources, including pine, rosewood, and mahogany as well as gold and silver.
- The former logger's business was poised for expansion, and he needed new staffers to know as much about such exotic species as Tamarind and Patagonian rosewood as he did himself.
Words that rhyme with rosewoodcottonwood • coachwood
Definition of rosewood in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.