noun[mass noun] Chemistry
A toxic crystalline substance obtained from the roots of derris and related plants, widely used as an insecticide.
- A polycyclic ketone; chemical formula: C23H22O6
More example sentences
- By the mid 1800s, the heads of chrysanthemum flowers were used to obtain pyrethrum, and rotenone was extracted from the derris plant.
- Use insecticidal soap sprays or rotenone to kill this pest.
- A hard spray of water will knock some bugs off the plants and a dusting of a non-toxic substance called rotenone shuts off their breathing mechanism.
1920s: from Japanese rotenon (from roten 'derris') + -one.
Definition of rotenone in:
- The US English dictionary