Definition of rough diamond in English:
1An uncut diamond.
- Russia will supply 30,000 carats of rough diamonds for jewellery and 1 million carats of technical diamonds.
- The domestic diamond industry may soon get rough diamonds directly from African countries.
- The venture is a first for the diamond industry, where the world of diamond mining, which produces rough diamonds, and the world of jewellery retailing have historically remained very far apart.
1.1British A person who is generally of good character but lacks manners, education, or style: my grandfather was a bit of a rough diamond
More example sentences
- Exuding coarse manners, she's every inch a rough diamond.
- I think he is a good soul but he's a rough diamond.
- I do not think that the defendant would object if I describe him as a rough diamond.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan