- A long-bodied beetle with very short wing cases, typically found among decaying matter where it may scavenge or prey on other scavengers.
More example sentences
- Family Staphylinidae: numerous genera
- The medical education director said the bugs - more than an eighth of an inch long - belong to the Staphylinidae rove beetle family of insects.
- He offers no evidence except to show that a certain type of rove beetle can produce complex behaviour.
- This dung or carrion mimicry attracts flesh flies, rove beetles, and even mosquitoes, all of which have been observed with pollen on them.
More definitions of rove beetleDefinition of rove beetle in:
- The US English dictionary