- 1 [mass noun] The action of rubbing something: dab at the stain—vigorous rubbing could damage the carpetMore example sentences
- Dry your skin by blotting or patting, but don't rub - rubbing may cause damage.
- Your child will have less access to their skin, and damage from scratching or rubbing can be avoided.
- Using a clean soft towel and gently washing instead of vigorously rubbing will lessen any discomfort of bathing.
- 2An impression of a design on brass or stone, made by rubbing on paper laid over it with coloured wax, pencil, chalk, etc..More example sentences
- He has exhibited all over the world with creations that range from collages and sketches to stone rubbings and oil paintings of such richness and depth that the canvas takes one year to dry.
- He also discusses how the artist absorbed the methods of local craftsmen - such as making charcoal rubbings on paper, usually featuring decorative patterns taken from architectural fragments or reliefs.
- It is tempting to think that the craftsmen who produced the carvings might have been working from designs sourced from rubbings made at the Shengyin Monastery.
More definitions of rubbingDefinition of rubbing in:
- The US English dictionary