Definition of rugose in English:
Wrinkled; corrugated: rugose corals
More example sentences
- The calcareous algae, stromatoporoids, tabulate corals, and rugose corals became conspicuous reef-builders throughout the tropical seas.
- Scientists showed that diseases such as Aucuba mosaic, calico mosaic, latent virus, leaf rolling mosaic, mild mosaic, rugose mosaic, and severe mosaic are viral in nature.
- The leaf texture is quilted, or rugose, because the veins are depressed below the surface.
late Middle English: from Latin rugosus, from ruga 'wrinkle'.
- Example sentences
- The reassigned material differs from described species of Exostinus (E. lancensis, E. serratus) in terms of the degree of dermal rugosity.
- The tibia is slender but not sinuous, and the fibula lacks a proximal rugosity, both characteristics of Stagonolepis.
- Some rugosity is present on the anterior tips of both fragments, but not on the remainder of the bones as preserved.
Definition of rugose in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan