Definition of rune in English:
- Oddly enough, I memorized the Anglo-Saxon rune alphabet in high school with a friend of mine so we could pass notes in geometry class.
- He pressed a button, and the runes changed into English letters.
- The original manuscript has the equivalent letters embedded as runes.
- The sword was impressively worked with runes and magic carvings, most of which glowed slightly in various colors.
- Nearly all the stones were cut in perfect spheres each with a rune that marked the element that they represented.
- Every stone of the edifice was marked with a rune, coursing with magical strength.
- I have yet to really read my runes purely intuitively, mainly because I see my runes as the no-nonsense divination tool I have.
- There is evidence that the Norse used runes for divination before the 12 th or 13 th centuries, however.
- Since I read the cards and runes too, maybe divination, thought experiment and fable-telling can all flow together for me.
- A person can go on about sigils, runes and spells for hours in an educated and well read fashion but how far does that match up with personal experience?
- One was using recordings I made of rune meditations and mixing bits from each rune into a word spell.
- She began to speak the ancient runes that would enact the spell and was surprised to see the world around her lighten a few shades.
read the runes
- British Try to forecast the outcome of a situation by analysing all the significant factors involved: the Chancellor read the runes and introduced additional tax measuresMore example sentences
- The MacTaggart Lecture is the opening event when a senior figure in broadcasting reads the runes.
- Politicians and diplomats on both sides have also been reading the runes, and while each side has claimed a victory of sorts there is little doubt the advantage has slipped Washington's way.
- And, for as long as they prefer a conjuror's wand to a handset, they will have to go on reading the runes to detect much of an impact, for IT, on productivity.
- Example sentences
- The scholars contend that parts of his documents seem to be written in a secret runic alphabet used by tradesmen in Sweden in the late 1800s, rather like codes that tramps have used over time to leave secret messages for one another.
- The company name is from the runic alphabet and represents the sun.
- During a new dig, he has now discovered a rare Viking buckle with a ‘wonderful runic design’ dating back to the 10th century.
Old English rūn 'a secret, mystery'; not recorded between Middle English and the late 17th century, when it was reintroduced under the influence of Old Norse rúnir, rúnar 'magic signs, hidden lore'.
Words that rhyme with runeafternoon, attune, autoimmune, baboon, balloon, bassoon, bestrewn, boon, Boone, bridoon, buffoon, Cameroon, Cancún, cardoon, cartoon, Changchun, cocoon, commune, croon, doubloon, dragoon, dune, festoon, galloon, goon, harpoon, hoon, immune, importune, impugn, Irgun, jejune, June, Kowloon, lagoon, lampoon, loon, macaroon, maroon, monsoon, moon, Muldoon, noon, oppugn, picayune, platoon, poltroon, pontoon, poon, prune, puccoon, raccoon, Rangoon, ratoon, rigadoon, saloon, Saskatoon, Sassoon, Scone, soon, spittoon, spoon, swoon, Troon, tune, tycoon, typhoon, Walloon
Definition of rune in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.