- 1A reddish- or yellowish-brown flaking coating of iron oxide that is formed on iron or steel by oxidation, especially in the presence of moisture: paint protects your car from rust • figurative the MPs are here to scrape the rust off the derelict machinery of governmentMore example sentences
- A blackened heap of rust and iron, the old stove sat in the corner of the living room.
- The Juliana bases are constructed of a galvanized steel to resist rust and decay.
- The presence of rust and corrosion indicates possible moisture invasion and a potential electrical hazard.
- 2 [usually with adjective or noun modifier] A fungal disease of plants which results in reddish or brownish patches.
More example sentences
- The fungi belong to Puccinia and other genera, order Uredinales, class Teliomycetes
- Many rust diseases are very specialized and have just one or two hosts.
- Leaf rust and stem rust can be serious problems in irrigated winter wheat.
- Stripe rust and leaf rust continue to develop in the southern plains.
- 3A reddish-brown colour: [in combination]: her rust-coloured coatMore example sentences
- The turbulent gray and rust coloured swirls of gas are truly awesome.
- Or how about cracking open a crab and stuffing its white and rust coloured meat into a baguette with watercress, mustard and cress and lamb lettuce and dressed with lime juice.
- Earthy tones such as rust, brown, beige, khaki, and tan are not only the coziest colors you can decorate your apartment in, but they're also in style right now.
verb[no object] Back to top
- Be affected with rust: the blades had rusted away (as adjective rusting) rusting machineryMore example sentences
- All vehicles in the town had to stay there until they rusted away.
- The source of the oil is unknown and is thought to have possibly sprung from an old wreck lying on the seabed which has rusted away.
- Without the right protection, the Tin Man in the Wizard of Oz would have rusted away.
Old English rūst, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch roest, German Rost, also to red.