A sweet-tasting synthetic compound used in food and drink as a substitute for sugar: [as modifier]: saccharin tablets
- Alternative name: o-sulphobenzoic imide; chemical formula: C7H5NO3S
More example sentences
- The only non-sugar sweetener at present licensed for use in most countries is saccharin, a synthetic substance made from coal tar.
- In the United States, four artificial sweeteners are approved for use: saccharin, aspartame, sucralose, and acesulfame-K.
- Pressure groups have asked the government to ban aspartame and saccharin and hydrogenated fat and oil from our foods and their response has been that there isn't enough conclusive evidence.
late 19th century: from modern Latin saccharum 'sugar' + -in1.
More definitions of saccharinDefinition of saccharin in:
- The US English dictionary