1Excessively sweet or sentimental: saccharine music
More example sentences
- But very often the sentiments expressed are saccharine.
- But what saves it from saccharine sentimentality is that Meany is used as a means of exposing not just the hypocrisies of small town life but the larger follies of post-war America.
- Ford relates the sentiment, humour and more grandiose moral of the story very effectively, but manages always to keep things sweet and never saccharine.
sentimental, over-sentimental, over-emotional, mawkish, cloying, sickly, sugary, syrupy, sickening, nauseating, maudlin, lachrymose, banal, trite
informal mushy, slushy, sloppy, schmaltzy, weepy, cutesy, lovey-dovey, gooey, drippy, sloshy, soupy, treacly, cheesy, corny, icky, sick-making, toe-curling
British informal soppy, twee
2 dated Relating to or containing sugar; sugary.
- Just as remarkable is the gingery, tart-sweet plum sauce (usually a saccharine affair) served with Republic Square's miniature fried egg rolls.
- Rosanna had always smelled of roses and saccharine peppermint.
- Diet Coke's path to glory was paved by the long-forgotten Tab, whose bitter, saccharine flavor first hit the market in 1963, and can be considered the gateway drug to diet colas.
another term for saccharin.
- In 1926 the artificial sweetener saccharine was popularized.
- Until recently we resorted to artificial sweeteners such as saccharine or aspartame, but never felt good about it.
- In Japan, Korea, and China, it is used extensively in lieu of saccharine and aspartame.
Words that rhyme with saccharinesaccharin
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.