Definition of sagittal in English:
1Relating to or denoting the suture on top of the skull which runs between the parietal bones in a front to back direction.
- The neurosurgeon reduces the occipital protuberance by securing the central sagittal strip to the occipital bones using nonabsorbable sutures or 28-g surgical steel wire.
- The sagittal suture extends midline along the vertex of the cranium from the anterior coronal suture line to the posterior lambdoidal suture line.
- A computed tomographic scan of the head demonstrated a superior sagittal sinus thrombosis and bilateral hemorrhagic infarcts of the parietal lobes.
2Of or in a plane parallel to the sagittal suture, especially that dividing the body into left and right halves: sagittal and transverse sections
More example sentences
- Most of the LHM in salamanders is located ventral to the vertebral centra, and therefore will tend to bend the body in the sagittal plane.
- Teach the client to reach away from the body in the sagittal plane and lengthen the spine.
- In addition, the inclination of fibers relative to the sagittal and transverse planes was lower than in wild type fish.
- Example sentences
- That of Ischyrotoma is more or less tab-shaped, not markedly longer sagittally, and has an essentially flat ventral profile.
- The trachea has a maximum transverse diameter of 16 mm, while sagittally, the trachea is narrower, having a maximal diameter of 14 mm.
- An extensive sheet of sagittally running fibers extends posteriorly and includes fibers of the posterior thalamic peduncle, anterior commissure, and optic radiation.
Definition of sagittal in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan