adjective (saintlier, saintliest)
- 1Very holy or virtuous: a truly saintly womanMore example sentences
- Undertaking religious pilgrimage is a seen as a meritorious practice since it focuses the mind on places associated with the Buddha, saintly people, or holy objects.
- To paint this man as a saintly, pious ‘spiritual leader’ is obscene.
- While I do think the saints have spiritual maturity, often very saintly people and profoundly religious people struggle with other personality conflicts.
- 1.1Relating to a saint: a crypt for some saintly relicMore example sentences
- Worship of saintly relics became a pressing theological concern in the high Middle Ages.
- Somehow, though, the body and its components have recently gained the holy quality previously reserved for saintly relics.
- The new film deals with the infamous Borgia family which produced no less than two saintly Popes in Italy during the 14th and 15th century.