Watery liquid secreted into the mouth by glands, providing lubrication for chewing and swallowing, and aiding digestion.
- The total daily flow of saliva from all the salivary glands is around 600 ml.
- When the food doesn't go down, the mouth produces more saliva to try and lubricate everything into submission.
- The flu virus is usually spread in the small droplets of saliva coughed or sneezed into the atmosphere by an infected person.
- Example sentences
- Tolterodine is a recently introduced antimuscarinic agent, which has a lower affinity for muscarinic receptors in the salivary glands.
- Reflex secretion of saliva from the salivary glands under the tongue and in the cheeks is stimulated by chewing, taste and smell, to varying degrees.
- Scientists are working on gene therapy, improved artificial saliva and artificial salivary glands.
Late Middle English: from Latin.
Words that rhyme with salivaconniver, contriver, diver, driver, fiver, Godiva, Ivor, jiver, Liver, reviver, skiver, striver, survivor, viva
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: sal¦iva
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.