Watery liquid secreted into the mouth by glands, providing lubrication for chewing and swallowing, and aiding digestion.
- The total daily flow of saliva from all the salivary glands is around 600 ml.
- When the food doesn't go down, the mouth produces more saliva to try and lubricate everything into submission.
- The flu virus is usually spread in the small droplets of saliva coughed or sneezed into the atmosphere by an infected person.
- Example sentences
- Tolterodine is a recently introduced antimuscarinic agent, which has a lower affinity for muscarinic receptors in the salivary glands.
- Reflex secretion of saliva from the salivary glands under the tongue and in the cheeks is stimulated by chewing, taste and smell, to varying degrees.
- Scientists are working on gene therapy, improved artificial saliva and artificial salivary glands.
Late Middle English: from Latin.
Words that rhyme with salivaconniver, contriver, diver, driver, fiver, Godiva, Ivor, jiver, Liver, reviver, skiver, striver, survivor, viva
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.