(Of a person’s face or complexion) of an unhealthy yellow or pale brown colour: his skin was sallow and pitted [in combination]: sallow-faced addicts
More example sentences
- Other patients who had pale lips, sallow complexion and bleeding had fewer mitochondria in the parietal cells of the stomach and these had obviously damaged cristal membranes. c.
- The shaken man described one of the attackers as thin, in his early 20s, with long thin face and a Mexican-style moustache and sallow complexion.
- Whiteside is described as 5ft 6in tall, slim, with short hair which is balding on top and going grey on sides, a sallow complexion and brown eyes.
- sallowish adjective
- Example sentences
- A youngish sallowish gentleman in spectacles, with a lumpy forehead, seated in a supplementary chair at a corner of the table, here caused a profound sensation by saying, in a raised voice, "ESKER," and then stopping dead.
- I am white and have a sallowish complexion in places. Tips on treatments or products are welcome.
- Example sentences
- The sallowness of his complexion took the luster from his eyes, like lamps kept on in daylight.
- Photoaging induces marked cutaneous alterations clinically characterized by wrinkles, roughness, sallowness, mottled dyspigmentation, telangectasia and a variety of benign or malignant neoplasms.
- Dab on a small amount of eye cream (with your fourth finger) that contains caffeine to take down any puffiness and sallowness.
Words that rhyme with sallowaloe, callow, fallow, hallow, mallow, marshmallow, shallow, tallow
1chiefly British A willow tree, especially one of a low-growing or shrubby kind. Also called pussy willow.
- Genus Salix, family Salicaceae: several species, in particular the great sallow (goat willow, S. caprea) and the grey (or common) sallow (grey willow, S. cinerea)
- Sallows grow much faster, if they are planted within reach of water, or in a very moorish ground, or flat plain; and where the soil is (by reason of extraordinary moisture) unfit for arable, or meadow.
- Goat Willow, Sallow or Pussy Willow is a very common, native, small tree or shrub to 10m. It is found throughout Britain in hedges,scrub and damp woods.
2A European moth with dull yellow, orange, and brown patterned wings.
- Genus Xanthia, family Noctuidae: several species
- The Xanthia family of moths were the next of the Sallows to appear, with a Barred Sallow, Xanthia aurago and the Sallow, Xanthia icteritia, both turning up on 21 September. A Pink-barred Sallow, Xanthia togata, was the last of this family to be recorded during this period.
- The genus Eupsilia, which includes some of the moths known as Sallows, is one of the problematic groups. There are nine or ten species in North America, with perhaps more to be eventually described.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.