adjective (samier, samiest)British informal
Lacking in variety; monotonous: dance music all sounds rather samey to me
More example sentences
- Unlike the beer, the background music is too samey (slick and bland ambient and dance sounds, albeit pretty unobtrusive).
- The difference culturally has also been very interesting, and at times we would have to admit that African food has been at best a bit samey!
- Tim has little time for supermarkets because they are ‘getting very samey in what they sell’.
- Example sentences
- For years bookselling in this country was the antithesis of samey but as Waterstone's became a massive corporate presence they started consolidating their business bringing in elements of sameyness.
- For the most part these aren't radical reworkings, although the omnipresent parping horns and hammering keys at times mean the sound approaches showband-esque sameyness, and a couple of tracks are marred by ham-fisted editing.
- Downers? How could there be downers? But maybe the clichéd plot, the tedium, the mind-numbing sameyness about the whole game could be considered a downer.
Words that rhyme with sameyAmy, cockamamie, flamy, gamy, Jamie, Mamie
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: samey
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.