1A member of a group of mainly nomadic peoples of northern Siberia, who traditionally live as reindeer herders.
- The Samoyed is Spitz-type which takes its name from the Siberian tribe of the Samoyeds.
- One myth - again judging from such peoples as the Samoyeds and Buryats - would seem to have been an earth-diver creation in which an animal is sent by the creator to find an earthly substance in the depths of the primal waters.
- Thousands of years ago the ancestors of both the present Finno-Ugrians and the Samoyeds lived together in their Uralic homeland.
3A dog of a white Arctic breed.
- For a white dog, the Samoyed stays amazingly clean, but an occasional bath is necessary.
- And as for the dogs, three different breeds compete in Scotland, and were in evidence at Aviemore: Siberian huskies, the lean sprinters; Samoyeds, large, white and fluffy; and Malamutes, the heavier freight dogs.
- The Samoyed is a snow dog and loves the outdoors.
From Russian samoed.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: Sam|oyed
Definition of Samoyed in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.