A flattened sea urchin which lives partly buried in sand, feeding on detritus.
- Order Clypeasteroida, class Echinoidea
More example sentences
- This study examines skeleton remodelling and resorption in larvae of the common sand dollar Echinarachnius parma and the green sea urchin Strongylocentrotus droebachiensis.
- Scattered on the cloth are pinecones and seashells, a sand dollar, a starfish, a sea urchin.
- The number of fresh grains encountered by the barrel-tipped podia can be dramatically increased by increasing the width of the test, relative to the overall size of the sand dollar.
More definitions of sand dollarDefinition of sand dollar in:
- The US English dictionary