noun (plural same or sandfishes)
1A small marine fish with fringed lips, which burrows in the sand, in particular:
- ● An elongated Australian fish (Crapatulus arenarius, family Leptoscopidae). ● A North Pacific fish (Trichodon trichodon, family Trichodontidae).
More example sentences
- The sandfish spends most of its time underground living in soft sand.
- The Australian government is trying to seed juveniles of sandfish, Holothuroidea scabra which were reduced by overfishing.
- Pacific Sandfish live in the Northern Pacific from California to Russia.
Definition of sandfish in:
- The US English dictionary